The neighborhood looks like a war zone.
Memorial Weekend came to an abrupt halt when high winds and hail literally stormed through the are. After a weekend when many people spent time working on their yards the hail storm basically eliminated all of the efforts that had been invested. The new flowers and hostas are shredded, the clean gutters are clogged, and the roof, siding, and windows are dinged. The weather literally undid everything that you had accomplished over the three day weekend.
Clean Gutters Can Help Make Sure That Heavy Rains Drain from the Roof
Even when you make the decision to clean gutters it is always important important to make sure that you work with a contractor who can help you get the best results. From the most expensive copper gutters to basic gutter installation, it is important to make sure that you have these important features of your house working as well as possible.
Consider some of these important factors about the gutter installation and maintenance industries:
- A home with clogged and overflowing gutters will likely be holding weights in the thousands of pounds. In fact, each gallon of rain water weighs eight pounds.
- Half-round and K-style are the two main gutter shapes to choose from.
- One-eighth of an inch of rain is enough to fill a 54 gallon rain barrel. In fact, the average roof will collect over 600 gallons of water with a single inch of rainfall.
- Copper gutters never rust or need painting, and the research indicates that they should last 100 years in any climate.
- To increase the capacity of a gutter system, it is important to add more downspouts. For instance, a home needs one downspout for every 30 to 40 linear feet of gutter.
- Unfortunately, clogged gutters are the number one cause of basement water problems.
When was the last time you cleaned the gutters on your house? When it is the middle of the spring storm season, it is especially important to make sure that you follow the manufacturers recommendations when it comes to maintenance.