There are a lot of repairs that people can do themselves around their home. Most electrical repairs are better handled by qualified electricians and not be approached like other DIY projects. Here are some reasons to use a professional electrician when you need to have these repairs done around your home.
- It is safer. When electrical repairs are not done properly the results can be very expensive and dangerous. Every year, nearly $1.5 billion in damages is done by electrical fires. There were about 47,700 home structure fires that were caused by some sort of electrical failure or malfunction in 2011. It has been estimated that the lion’s share of home structure fires were caused by wiring and related equipment failures between 2007 and 2011. At least 63% of these fires were caused by these electrical wiring and equipment problems. When you hire a professional electrician, you can prevent at least some of these issues.
- Hiring a residential electric contractor will save time. If you have electrical repairs that need to be done in your home, having a professional electrician come in and make any electrical wiring repairs will take a lot less time. This makes a difference as many electrical problems can wreck havoc in your home. The professional electrical contractor can come in and efficiently diagnose your problems and fix them quickly and efficiently. They are experienced and have been trained on how to deal with residential electrical issues. It will take you a lot less time and effort to bring in a professional to work on your home.
- They are licensed to do the work. There are local, federal and state regulations on electrical work for homes and businesses. When you hire a professional to come in and work on your home, you should check to make sure they have the right license as required. This is important because you or any other unlicensed worker can do more damage than good, You may want to check with your homeowner’s insurance policy to see if they have any requirements for the people who do electrical repairs on your home. They should also have the right insurance. Verify anything they tell you.
- They may catch small problems that you did not know about. When you have a professional electrical contractor come in and work on problems you are having, you can have them look over the wiring in your home. They may be able to catch and correct small problems that can be fixed easily before they get to be larger ones that cost more to repair. Many contractors will take a holistic view of all of your electrical systems. They may be able to look at your systems and give you suggestions to lower the amount of power you use and lower your utility bills.
- If you are looking to upgrade, professional electricians can help with that. When was your heating, air conditioning and ventilation (HVAC) system installed? If you have an older system in place, you may benefit from getting new appliances installed may be a great way to save money on your heating and cooling costs for your home. Newer appliances come with Energy Star ratings and use a lot less power than older appliances. Additionally, you may benefit from having a new thermostat installed. Newer models are programmable and can even heat and cool parts of your home separately so the rooms and spaces that need to be heated or cooler are when the other areas are not. You can even get thermostats that can be monitored and adjusted remotely. These are all great reasons to talk to a professional electrician.
- Have a professional do an audit of your needs. The United States has some of the most dangerous and volatile weather on the planet. Between hurricanes, blizzards and tornadoes power outages are all too common throughout the country. As a consequence, many households turn to electric generators. Having an electrician do an audit of your electrical needs can help you get the right generator for your situation.
Homeowners take care of a lot of projects in their home but should leave electrical repairs to the experts.