Interior painting is required every now and then to keep your home looking fresh. But getting the right interior painting services is based on a number of factors about your home. When you are considering which painting services to get, consider the following points.
- Check for lead paint.If your home was built before 1978, you will want to hire a qualified lead expert to check it out at the very beginning of the process. Children under age six are particularly at risk for lead paint.
- Prep for paint.Paint preparation is the foundation on which the entire interior painting result will be based. If this part of the operation is done incorrectly, there?s no guarantee that you will get the results you want. As such, any necessary repairs must be made before the residential painters come in. This particularly includes cleaning dirty walls, near and around the kitchen areas, because stains and grease can interfere with paint adhesion.
- Hire a professional.When talking to an interior painting contractor, make sure you deal with a contractor that has been officially accredited by the Painting and Decorating Contractors of America. Furthermore, it is important to come to an agreement about the following things: what will be done and the products used, the type and amount of surface preparation, the priming and type of primer, the brand of paint, and how many coats of paint will be included.
- Pick a paint colorThere?s a place for any color, but there are a few things that are already known about the effect colors have on rooms. Dark colors tend to make a room look smaller, while light colors open up the space. Neutral colors are best if you?re planning to sell your home. It?s worth testing colors by buying small amounts of paint or using swatches.
- Choose a finish.There are plusses and minuses to all specialty painting finishes. For example, a flat paint is good if you have many imperfections on your walls, but it is harder to clean. Generally, the higher the sheen on a finish, the better it will stand up to washing and cleaning. It’s also important to be aware that most paints handle temperatures no lower than 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
These are by no means the only considerations to make when hiring painting services. However, this will help you get started having interior painting done in a way that rejuvenates and improves your home.