There are many times when home owners are required to spend a great deal of time, money, and energy maintaining their properties. From the wood windows in older homes to vinyl windows in newer homes to roofing, siding, and other interior and exterior parts, there are a number of items that need to be maintained to protect the value of of a home.
How Long Do Windows Last in Locations Where Winters Are Very Severe?
Depending on the value of the window, there are many different amounts of time that a window can last. Although there are some high end windows that come with lifetime warranties, there are also many less expensive models that are only guaranteed for 10 years. With that said, it is important to make sure that any property owner invests in the highest quality products in an effort to have windows with longer warranties. If you cannot afford the highest quality of window products, it is even more important that you follow through on any and all manufacturer instructions.
Residential window replacement, as well as residential door replacement, is an expensive investment, but it is also one that can add to the value of a home. Consider theses facts and figures about the window industry and the impact that these new products have on the nation’s economy:
- The average cost of vinyl window replacement is $11,319 and wood window replacement comes in slightly higher at $12,229, according to Remodeling Magazine’s annual Cost Vs Value Report.
- Windows that are drafty and let air escape can increase a home owner’s energy bills by 10% to 25%.
- 38% of heat loss in the average home is through windows and doors. If, for instance, a home has drafty single-pane windows, heat loss through windows may increase by as much as 50%.
- Window replacement can recoup 73% to 77% of its original cost when a house is sold.
- New windows can lower energy bills. Depending on where you live, in fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates that a home owner can save as much as $501 a year by replacing old single-pane windows with new models that are Energy Star approved.
Even if you do not know the answer to the question, “How long do windows last,” it is difficult to deny the importance of investing in the highest quality products if you want to make sure that you maintain the value of your home.