January 2016 20
With summer not far away, it’s time to start thinking about how we are going to stay cool over the hot months. Here are some ideas for staying comfortable whether it been air conditioners or water.
This is a fairly obvious option. Who doesn’t love a good splash in the water during the summer. Swimming in cool water lowers the body temperature especially if you are willing to get your head wet. However, you can’t stay in the pool at all times, unfortunately and that much exposure to the sun is not good for you. Make sure you wear sunscreen whenever you are swimming or out in the sun at all.
If you are lucky enough to have a beach near you, it is probably the coolest area of your town. Of course, you can get in the ocean and chanc (more…)
Having a pool is great. It makes for a great place for your kids to play and to entertain friends and family. Your home may quickly become the hot place to hang out during the summer after you install a pool. It certainly can feel like you have a bit of a resort in your back yard. If you have a pool, you need a deck for it. There are a lot of great options for an above ground pool deck.
Above Ground Pool Deck Ideas:
- Wood: This is the most popular material for all pool decks. One of the biggest reasons is that you are only limited by your imagination in terms of what you can build for your above ground pool deck. Wood decks are very affordable. The cost will vary based on what kind of desk you design.If you decide you want to make your deck out of wood, remember to factor in the costs associated with maintaining your deck. You should absolutely have it treated. These decks still will need a decent amount of work to keep them safe from the elements and water fro the pool. The vast majority of above ground pool decks are made from wood because of how many different kinds of looks you can create. Remember, there are different options for wood. You can pick between cedar, pressure treated pine and redwood. All make beautiful decks.
- Recycled Plastic. If you want the look of wood but not the feel (splinters are never fun), some companies are now making decks out of recycled plastic. This is made to look like wood but is more durable and you are doing the planet a favor by reusing plastic.
- Stone: These decks are very durable and can be very classic looking. Stone is one of the most expensive materials for above ground pool decks but the cost may be worth it. Not only do they look great, they last a long time. You do not need to worry about wear and tear from foot traffic. Travertine, a limestone that is made from hit mineral springs, is a very popular stone material. It is a popular option for decks, floors and other surfaces around the house. Stone decks can make a real impression.
- Aluminum: This is not as common a material for above ground pool decks but has the advantage of being very durable, they last longer than most other deck materials. They are very easy to put in and comfortable to stand on as the carpet they are often lined with feels great on the bottoms of swimmers’ feet.
- Composite decks. Some people consider these to be the best option for many reasons. You can combine stone and wood for these versatile decks. While wood is popular because it is versatile, nothing beats composite decks for the range of styles that can be made by combing wood and stone.
- Resin. People like this material for their above ground pool decks because it will not deteriorate during the cold, winter months. They come in a number of different shapes, which are often more interesting and unique than their aluminum counterparts. If you work with the company, you can probably find a specialized design to meet your needs and style. Because they are remade, installation is very quick. and painless.
Like any other part of your landscaping and home’s exterior, above ground pool decks should compliment your home. They are a direct reflection of your style and personality. They can really add value to your home. When you are looking at materials for your deck, look at a variety of patio design options. Most of all, have fun with your deck. You can really bring a fun element to your home design and this will benefit you should you decide to sell your house. Adding a deck, even without a pool, to your home can give you a return on investment of more than 70%. So not only can you have fund designing and using your pool deck but it is a solid investment.
Are you creating a small business or looking to start one? While there are many things you have to keep in mind in order to be successful, such as marketing campaigns and maintaining a close eye on customer reviews, there are simple daily habits that you need to be mindful of to encourage safety in the long run. When it comes to installing a door or two, you’ll need to research commercial door locks and different types of keys to ensure your financial efforts don’t go to waste! Homeowners and renters face many of the same issues when it comes to security and a strong lock can literally make or break a good foundation. Read below to (more…)
If you love to grill and use your patio often, you?re not alone: although the most popular grilling days are Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, and Labor Day, a full 60 percent of grillers report that they use their grill year round! While many people use the terms deck and patio interchangeably, technically a deck is made of wood and a patio is made from brick, concrete, or stone. The word patio is Spanish and means the courtyard of a building or house, so that may help you to remember the difference.
If this sounds like you, you might be thinking about upgrading your patio area by installing one or more brick patios. Brick patio designs are numerous, and if you want to design your own the o (more…)
Are you currently having problems with your roof? If you are, you should consider hiring commercial contractors to help you decide what types of roofing materials to use to either repair or replace the current roof. Each year, that industry generates an estimation of $46 billion in revenue located in the United States. A home is an investment worth putting some money into in order to live in it for the long haul. Retirement is right around the corner and it?s much cheaper to get new roof than living with a current one with problems. Do you know that as much as 20% your roof gets cut from longer life expectancy if you layered on top of an existing roof? (more…)
Taking care of the environment is something that we are all responsible for. There are many ways that we can contribute. Being green is not something we do but a way of living. Maybe you are asking yourself why you should even care about the environment. First of all, the only way to live a healthy life with clean air is through a clean environment and don’t forget that we are not only cleaning the air and our world for ourselves but for our kids and our kids’ kids. The truth is, this is our home and we should take pride in where we live. Here’s a few ways that we can take care of our world.
- Driving releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere which is very harmful to us humans who have to breathe it in. Try walking places or riding a bike. This is the best way to cut down on the carbon dioxide released into ou (more…)
Do you have carpets in your home? Most people in the United States do. It covers nearly 70% of the floors in the country. According to Houzz, nearly 40% of homeowners say they like their bedrooms to have carpeting. The question is then, how do you keep your rugs looking the way they do in carpet stores?
Carpet Stores Tips for Maintenance and Cleaning
Deep clean them on a regular basis. You should vacuum often but then every now and then it is worth it to hire a carpet company to do a very thorough cleaning of all your carpets. This will remove dirt, dust, danger and germs. This is especially crucial for people who have asthma or other breathing problems.
Fight stains with a few common household items.
Ice: If you have ever gotten gum stuck anywhere, like in your hair, you probably know that the best trick is to freeze it. That makes it less sticky and easy to remove. All you need to do with your carpet is place an ice cube on top. After the gum is frozen, you can use a spoon to peel it off the carpet strands. You may have to cut a little off but it will not be noticeable.
Shaving cream: This works wonders on most stains. Using it is as simple as spray, let set and then blot it away. The stain should lift up easily. For basic stains, let the cream sit for about 30 minutes. Wait longer for stains that resist being removed. You can try this more than once.
Hydrogen peroxide will remove blood. You do not have to be a serial killer to want to get a blood stain out of your carpet. Pour it directly on the stain and then blot it clean with towels. If you have a lot of it, try to remove any crusted blood before you add the hydrogen peroxide. The compound should foam a but when it gets in contact with the blood but do not worry about that.
Get rid of wax with your iron. Place a paper towel on the area affected and a cloth on the iron. Heat the iron to a low to medium setting and iron the floor. The wax will melt and stick to the towel. Be careful about heating the iron too much or leaving it on the carpet too long as either can burn the carpet.
Protect your carpets and the environment at the same time. Many experts from carpet stores agree that using organic compounds to remove pet stains are better for your carpets than harsh chemicals, which damage both the carpet and are bad for the environment. If you have pets, at some point they will make a mess. Using these products can extend the life of your flooring. Many of these products also work with more human stains like coffee and wine.
Like most floor options, if cared for properly, carpets can last and look fresh from the carpet stores for decades. Preventing stains is often the best way but as you live in a home and not a museum, having plans to deal with spills, stains and other issues will help keep your home looking great for years.
Though it is certainly not something very glamorous to think about or to deal with, making sure that your home sewer system is in proper working order and up to date is crucial to the happiness and functionality of your every day life. While you may not know the first thing about sewers, scheduling a sewer inspection and any subsequent repairs will make things much more pleasant in the long run, not only due to the reduced amount of hassle for you, but for anyone in the surrounding area as well. Sewers that are in poor condition or that are causing problems are not something that can easily be hidden or ignored.
Managing your sewer system
While it is a m (more…)
It has been 18 years and it is finally time to make a change. After all of this time in your home you have never spent the money to finish the basement. Mostly used as a crafting and sewing area, the large unfinished space also makes a great place for sleepovers. This week, however, when the winter temperatures dropped below zero, the coldness of the basement has prevented anyone from spending any time down there.
You and your wife have decided that it is time to finish what you never bothered to start. Before any floor plans or decorator choices are made, however, you have both decided that the priority is to find one of the local HVAC services and receive some advice on making the space more warm and comfortable during the coldest of winter days.
The first thing on the agenda is to s (more…)
Count to 15 slowly. In the time it took you to count to 15, one house in the United States was burgled, according to ASecureLife.com. One in 36 homes in the U.S is burgled each year and the average loss is $2,230 per break in, according to the FBI. In total burglaries cause $4.7 billion in property losses. Statistics on home invasions are harder to find, but also represent a risk for home owners.
Home security systems can reduce the risk of being burgled by as much as three times. A 2012 study of convicted burglars looked at factors that deterred burglars from a target house. The respondents indicated that they considered close proximity of other people, whether or not there were escape routes, and most importantly, signs of increased security such as alarm signs or outdoor cameras. Just over 60% o (more…)
Do It Yourself Repair
Do you enjoy keeping your home at a reasonable temperature, regardless of the weather outdoors? Are you looking for a way to do so? If the answers to these questions are yes, consider calling up an HVAC company to see if they can install an HVAC system in your house. Not having an HVAC system [...]
Every single year, a large number of homeowners will call on a professional to come to their homes and to help them with water leak repair. This water leak repair process is incredibly important because it can help save you money if you do it right, but if done incorrectly, it can easily cost you. [...]
Every single year a large number of American homeowners will get involved in a renovation that involves making major changes to their house. These renovations can include making changed to the kitchen, altering the bathroom, and even landscaping jobs that can change the outside features of their home. While some people believe it is fun [...]